Friday, March 30, 2012

Devil in a Green Dress


I did something bad. Real Bad. Really, really bad. It all started out innocently enough, with a trip to Memorial City Mall to cash in on a gift certificate to Sun Ski Sports. After using our store credit to purchase an Aberdeen appropriate North Face fleece and Ugg slippers, we were faced with the choice of going home or continuing to shop. The prospect of bypassing colorful spring garb was depressing to me, but Jonathan mentioned that he’d at least like to glance around at Fossil. Big mistake. As soon as we entered the store I heard my name being called by a ravishing sea foam green maxi dress.

I decided to try it on, just for fun. Big mistake. It was as if the dress were tailor made for me. When I was shopping for my wedding dress, I kept waiting for that emotional reaction when I put on ‘the’ dress. It never happened. But there, in that Fossil dressing room, I knew that this dress was designed specifically for me, fitting me like a glove and accentuating my green eyes (which at this point had filled up with tears of joy).

I had visions of myself walking barefoot down some Portuguese beach, hand in hand with my true love. Visions of sitting in a cafĂ© in Paris reading a Hemingway novel. Visions of watching the shore disappear from the deck of a Mediterranean cruise ship. And even though I‘m about to move to the arctic circle and have no realistic use for a new maxi, I knew that I just had to have this dress.

When I was checking out, the Fossil employee asked me if I had somewhere special in mind to wear my new frock. “To France”, I replied, and gave Jonathan a wink and a nudge.

No comments:

Post a Comment