Tuesday, March 13, 2012

To Nest or Not to Nest?

Part of our relief of being assigned to Aberdeen is that Scotland would be a lovely place to start a family. The health care is top notch and Aberdeen is a small, family friendly city. We plan to be there for the next 2-4 years before shipping out to our next assignment which will likely be a bit more rough of a location. For instance, unlike other potential assignments, we don’t have to worry about malaria or yellow fever (and their questionable vaccinations) in Scotland. This might not be the case next time. Therefore, one of our goals is to have at least one child by the time we leave the UK.
My Mom is convinced that Jonathan and I should go ahead and buy our nursery furniture now to include in our shipment to Scotland. Rationally, this seems like a perfectly logical idea. Furniture is a lot more expensive in Scotland, they don’t have as much of a selection, and the style tends to be a bit more contemporary/modern while cottage/French country is more our flavor.

However, I can’t help but feel that it would be a bit unlucky to buy nursery furniture for a baby who hasn’t been conceived yet. I realize this is superstitious, but I’m still hesitant. I don’t want to jinx it. But at the same time, I do feel like God is calling us to be parents and I have faith that He will bring us a child whether that be through conception or adoption. Buying nursery furniture could be a testament of my faith; sort of a Noah building the ark type of thing. I just can’t decide and I need feedback. What do you think?
I have to say I’m leaning towards going for it. Especially after stumbling upon these exquisite nursery sets by Restoration Hardware.


Wowza. I think my uterus just skipped a beat.

2 comments:

  1. I think that last nursery is calling your name... The rocking zebra would look mighty fine in there :)

    ReplyDelete