Friday, January 3, 2014

New Year, New City


Well friends. It’s that time again. It’s been just over 18 months since we moved to Aberdeen and it appears we’ve worn out our welcome. Jonathan has been asked to relocate for his job, so as of March I will no longer be ‘The Aberdeen Wife’. We will be trading the overcast winter skies of Scotland for the year-round sunshine of Northern California. San Ramon to be exact; a valley-town tucked away in the outskirts of San Francisco. 
I have never been so ambivalent about a move. I am beyond excited to explore California. Within a stone’s throw we will have the wine country, San Francisco, world class skiing, world famous national parks, boundless hiking, not to mention incredible weather. 
But we are also leaving behind a beautiful country and wonderful friends, and a ton of European travel destinations that we couldn’t quite squeeze in. 

To say that I will miss Scotland is a complete understatement. I can’t even go there right now. I’m too emotional. So my mantra has been: “Target. Whole Foods. Wendy’s. Warm weather. Pinot Noir. Direct Flight to New Orleans.” I’m trying to focus on the things I am excited about with re-patriating, and there are certainly plenty of pros to balance out the cons. 

I plan on continuing to blog throughout this next chapter of our lives, though obviously ‘The Aberdeen Wife’ is no longer a suitable title for our adventures, and ‘The San Ramon Wife’ just doesn’t sound quite as snazzy. Any suggestions? What about ‘The Moves- Every-Two-Years Wife’?

It’s definitely an exciting and adventurous nomadic life we lead, but it has its downfalls. I feel like I’m constantly homesick, yet for where, I can’t quite pin point. Home is at once so many places and yet at the same time, nowhere at all. 


So please keep us in your prayers as we make preparations to carve out yet another ‘home’ in the hills of Northern California.  With a baby in tow, it will doubtless be our hardest move to date and your prayers will be greatly needed! Let the countdown begin…  

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck to all five of you with your move. I'm an expat here in Aberdeen and my husband is likely to move job relatively soon so I know how you feel. Lovely to see Forest getting bigger and being so happy. Do continue to blog - I've got quite addicted! all the best, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I will miss reading about your life in my homeland, good luck with the move :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in Napa! One of my favourite places in the world. I keep telling my husband IF we ever do move back to the US then I want to move to California. I just love everything about Nor Cal. It felt more like home than anywhere else.

    Congrats to you and you're family! Can't wait for your blog re-name and to read about all the things I miss from California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your move, I hope you keep blogging, I loved all the Aberdeen info as it's my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm sure it's a great job and CA ia lovely, keep repeating the montra it's a good one :)

    ReplyDelete