Wednesday, January 15, 2014

11 Weeks Old!



Things with Forest have markedly improved over the last 10 days or so. Last week was the first week where he showed any predictability in terms of behavior. He’s succumbing to naptime pretty consistently, even though what he and I consider a ‘long-enough’ nap differs considerably. 

His nighttime sleep, while inconsistent, is generally between 8.5 and 10.5 hours. I know that as the mother of an 11 week old baby, I am blessed with a rare gift to have a baby who sleeps through the night already. He’s always been an all-star in terms of nighttime sleep and for that I am super grateful and proud. 

We finally had his tongue tie snipped last Thursday and I feel like I can tell a difference in his latch quality. The pediatrician who did the procedure mentioned that it might even clear up some of his colic since babies with a tongue tie tend to swallow more air as they eat and therefore have major tummy issues. I’m not sure if it’s coincidental, but he has been less fussy as of late. 

In fact, as we have gotten some of his health issues worked out, he is turning into quite the happy baby. He’s generous with the smiles and is quite a little flirt already. Morning times are his happiest times and he will just smile and giggle at everything I say, making me feel like the most charmingly brilliant woman alive (even though all I’m doing is making up words that rhyme with ‘poop’). 

He’s been a tad thrown off this week because his grandparents are visiting and that is just way too much excitement for his little brain. 
We are trying to be flexible and go with the flow, but we know as soon as they leave to go back to the States, it’s time for sleep-training boot camp. 

He’s totally outgrowing his rock-n-play so we can’t put off this crib transition much longer. It will be painful to risk losing those 9 hour silent nights, but I know the outcome will be worth it. 

The only time he gets overly fussy is when he’s tired. He is still struggling to take quality naps no matter how exhausted he is. 
He’s just so hyper-alert that he can’t seem to close his eyes if there is anything interesting to look at. It’s crazy but Jonathan and I actually have to shield his eyes with our hand to get him to nod off, otherwise they would stay glued open despite his drowsiness. I think that’s why he naps so well in his stroller and car seat, because his igloo-sack has a hood that covers his eyes. I’m not sure what we’ll do when we move to California and no longer need to tote him around in a down-comforter! 

Well, as you can imagine, this week is a busy one so I will just cut to his 11 week photos:   




And just some bonus ones from this week: 



There are more pictures from some of his outings this week but I will save those for later posts. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. He is soooo cute and getting soooo big. I can't believe they waited this long to snip his frenulum Your boobies will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love his outfit, the hat is the best! Glad he is getting better as the days go on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad to read you again. Thanks for this post. Best for you Buddy! Cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is quite the handsome young baby. Of course I could be prejudice. So glad George and Kay made the journey to see this great little boy child. Love you and miss you all

    ReplyDelete
  5. he's so adorable:) yay for sleeping through the night!

    ReplyDelete