Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Stop and Smell the Salsa


I’m a notorious planner and this is never more evident than when I’m planning a big trip. That’s why it is totally bizarre to me that I will be leaving the country within the next few weeks, and yet I don’t have any flights booked, I don’t know where I’ll be staying, and I haven’t made any arrangements for the dogs. Heck, I don’t even know where my passport is. I think this whole move will seem unreal until we purchase those initial plane tickets.
I’ve been doing relatively well with remaining patient, but I have to admit that I’m starting to get a bit antsy. I want to be there. I want to find a house. I want to buy a car. I want to obsessively email thousands of postcard-like pictures to everyone I know.
So when I start to feel impatient, I try to slow down and appreciate the fact that, for now, I am in Texas. In Texas, we can lay out by the lake. In Texas, we can eat crawfish. In Texas, I can blog from my front porch without wearing a jacket. And most importantly, in Texas, we can go sit on a restaurant patio and drink margaritas with chips and salsa.

There aren’t many 75 degree nights in Aberdeen, and as far as I know, zero good Mexican restaurants. So while Scotland has experienced a freak Artic Cold front this past week, we’ve been enjoying our Spring nights outside. Next April, we’ll be in unpredictable Aberdeen, and since it’s currently 40 degrees there, we’re in no rush to get there this week. No rush at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment