Tuesday, April 3, 2012

March in Review


It’s been a big month for our household; one involving career changes and relocations. I can’t believe that it has only been one month since we found out we were moving to Scotland. It feels like an eternity.

I’ve been a housewife for two full weeks now. I figured by this time I would have read 4 books and baked 5 dozen cookies, but apparently being a housewife is a ton of work that doesn’t allow for much free time. Of course, I’m in the midst of an international move so I’m sure once things settle down in Aberdeen, I’ll have plenty of time for book clubs and baked goods.

All things considered, my personal goals in March were pretty on par. Let’s recap.  

Reading: I read two novels: Swamplandia! by Karen Russell and South of Broad by Pat Conroy. Both were decent, but a bit disturbing. I've only read two books by Pat Conroy, but they both involved some pretty awful crimes against children. His novel Beach Music is on my 'Must Read' list and I'm assured by many that it's the best book ever written. I just hope that child abuse doesn't play a huge role because it really makes me sick to my stomach. He does write beautifully though, so I have to give him that. Definitely made me want to take a trip to Charleston, South Carolina.

On deck for April are two mystery novels: The White Lioness by Henning Mankell and In The Lake of The Woods by Tim O’Brien. My ex-coworker Marilyn and I had our own little book club. Before we met, she strictly read mysteries and thrillers and I read anything but mysteries and thrillers. We’ve done a great job of exposing each other to books we would have never discovered on our own. She lent me a few books in my final week of work that I am desperately trying to finish before we move. It’ll be a thrilling and mysterious month for sureJ.

I’m super excited to read the Tim O’Brien novel. If you’ve never read his book The Things They Carried, stop what you’re doing and go read it immediately. Seriously, one of my all-time favorites.  

Cooking: I only found time for one new recipe this month, but boy was it a good one. Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas! Yum, yum. It makes my stomach growl just thinking about it. Jonathan has already requested a repeat of this dish which means it was a huge success.
Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas; picture and recipe from Perry's Plate
This is one of those recipes that I absolutely love because you can change it up depending on your mood. You basically just choose 6-7 veggies that you like, roast them in the oven and then layer them with tortillas, spinach, and cheese for a delicious, cheesy, vegetarian enchilada lasagna. We’ve heard that the veggies are super fresh and reasonably priced in Aberdeen so we’re trying to round up some good vegetarian recipes. Let me know if you have any!

Writing:  I wrote in the ballpark of 15,000 words, only 5,000 shy from my goal of 20,000 per month. I’d say for such a hectic month, that’s not so bad. I’ve kept up my pace of blogging every weekday which is getting substantially harder as the move gets closer.

Four more weeks! It just doesn’t seem possible, but reality is definitely sinking in. I go back and forth between excitement and apprehension.  I’m terrified, but in a good way. It’s not brave, if you’re not scared, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment