Friday, April 6, 2012

The Secret Life of Fleas

I don’t have much to report so I’ll keep this post short and sweet. For the past few days, I have singlemindedly declared a war on fleas. I’ve been crazy busy vacuuming the house and spraying all of the carpet, rugs, and upholstery to try to exorcise the little monsters. Jonathan is in charge of spraying the yard this afternoon. Hopefully our efforts will keep the pest situation under control until the professionals spray our property next Tuesday. 

At first I viewed preparing my house for pest control as a setback from getting our house ready to sell, but actually it has given me the kick in the butt I needed to finish organizing the closets and getting the clutter off of the floor. It took me the better part of yesterday afternoon, but look at my closet!

After donating the majority of my professional and summer wardrobe, it’s opened up a ton of space. I don’t think I’ve seen my closet floor or ceiling since we moved in.

Can I complain for a second? I am exhausted. Again, not to draw any parallels between pets and children, but my dogs are definitely curing my most recent bout of baby fever. Since we had to destroy the dogs’ beds due to flea infestation and we don’t want to buy new ones until the flea problem is eradicated, the dogs have been sleeping in our room.

Since I’m supposed to stop Samson from scratching, I am hyper vigilante to any movement he makes during the night. And I’m sure it’s psychological, but when they itch, I itch. I woke up at 2 AM to the sound of Bailey scratching her bites and suddenly I felt itchy all over. After trying to fall back asleep for 30 minutes, I decided to take me and my body pillow to the couch.

As soon as I got settled in with a midnight snack and a How I Met Your Mother marathon, I heard Jonathan yell from the bedroom, “Laine! Bailey threw up everywhere.” I rushed upstairs to find Jonathan still tucked comfortably in bed and a pile of dog puke in the corner of the bedroom. I guess since I’m the housewife, that means I’m on clean up duty at 3 AM.

After scrubbing the carpet, I headed back down to the couch. Four episodes of How I met Your Mother later, I managed briefly to fall asleep until Jonathan left for work at 6. I. am. so. tired.

Seriously, I don’t know how you parents do it, especially you parents who both work full time. I simply cannot function without 8 hours of sleep, so my off and on 4 hours I got last night are not hacking it. Right now I’m torn between a caffeine binge or taking a nap. Decisions, decisions.

One thing I know for sure: one of the biggest pros about Scotland is that there are NO FLEAS! Samson has been a big ball of allergies ever since we moved to Houston. I’m hoping that since his ancestors hail from the UK, these will be cleared up once we move.

In super, awesome, wonderful news, a house down the street almost identical to ours just went on the market last Thursday and it has already sold! We’re crossing our fingers that ours will sell as quickly. We’re also crossing our fingers that we’re able to put our house on the market next week. Still no word about our visa approval…

No comments:

Post a Comment