Monday, February 13, 2012

TSA

You know that old cliché “It’s the journey, not the destination”. Well when it comes to the actual art of travel, this is false. Especially if your journey involves air travel. Something always goes wrong, and it’s never the same thing. Every time I travel, I experience some new quirk about air travel that I didn’t even know was possible.

For example: This past Monday I took the day off to recuperate from my weekend skiing injuries and decided to use the time off to unpack and do about 15 loads of laundry. When I went to unload our suitcase, I saw that the zippers were locked together. I found this odd since we’ve never ever ever locked our suitcase before, but of course I still immediately blamed Jonathan. I called him to ask him where the key was and we quickly discovered that it was actually TSA that locked our bags.

Now over the years we have accumulated several hodgepodge suitcases most of which were hand me downs from my parents. This particular bag was one such item and therefore, neither of us had ever laid eyes on a key. I ended up having to wait for Jonathan to get home with his man tools in order to break the locks on our suitcase.

When we opened it we had a nice note from TSA stating that they inspected our bags and they apologize if they had to break our locks. But you know, if your locked bags are chosen for inspection, they really have no choice but to break in.

I totally understand that. Only thing is, our bags weren’t locked for inspection, yet were afterwards since TSA so courteously locked them for us. Therefore our locks still ended up broken. Alanis Morrisette has me permanently confused, but I am pretty sure that this one of those situations where there term “ironic” applies.

Silver lining: I had the perfect excuse not to do laundry and instead stay in bed all day reading Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. Thanks TSA!

No comments:

Post a Comment