Friday, November 16, 2012

Highs, Lows, and Mahjongs

Lows:
1) I played Mahjong on Tuesday night and didn’t win a single hand. I had to face the fact that my winning streak was over and that I might not be a Mahjong prodigy afterall.

2) Getting a taste of that Seasonal Affective Disorder everybody keeps talking about. Cold + Rain+ Darkness = Sad and Lazy Laine. It’s time to start that Vitamin D regime I suppose. Or I could just keep napping from 3-6 every day. Hmm…
The sun in now setting around 3:30.
3) Burning my lip while taste testing my Pecan pie bars. More on that little ‘experiment’ later…
They were tasty but perhaps not worth a giant blister on my bottom lip.
But I can’t be expected to wait for pecan laden caramel to cool down before digging in, can I? This is why I don’t bake. Ouch.

4) Jonathan is growing a moustache for ‘Prostate Cancer Awareness Month’ which made me realize that I have an irrational aversion to moustaches. Gross.
Highs:

1)  Having a really supportive husband. I am an awful, terrible, inefficient housewife. I spend most of my time blogging, hiking, running, playing mahjong, reading, and talking on the phone. Yet he hardly ever mentions my neglected chores, he always asks about my various hobbies, and he encourages me to take naps more often.
Hands on dad...bathing pups after a romp through the forest
I guess for all that, I could overlook a moustache… Nah. Still gross.

2) Spontaneous Tuesday night Mahjong with some girlfriends. Even though I didn’t win, I had a great evening spending quality time with my buds. And the gingerbread martinis Debbie made were pretty swell. Not to mention the pumpkin cheesecake that Tanvi made for dessert. See- these women hike, mahjong, blog, run, read, talk on the phone and yet still manage to rock the whole housewife thing. Some people are just gifted I guess.

3) Three Mahjongs this morning! Just call me the comeback kid. Some people are just gifted I guess…
4) Jonathan got some major reassurance from his boss this week about taking on a 2nd assignment here in Aberdeen. That means we can confidently assume we’ll be here for at least another 2 years, which is longer than we’ve ever known we were going to be anywhere. We’ve always been ready to move at a moment’s notice so it’s nice to be able to breathe out and settle in. Now I really don’t have an excuse to put off unpacking those last few boxes!
Bailey will be more than happy to stay in Scotland a few more years!
How about you? Highs and Lows this week?

3 comments:

  1. 1.) Ouchie on the lip! I am sure it was tasty though!!
    2.) I am no where near the housewife! I choose to make martinis (which my husband does not drink) over doing chores. Yes, some people have a gift and it cannot be wasted! :-)
    3.) Wish I had the feeling of being settled in for a few years! Such exciting news for yall though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith is movembering it up in these parts too! Mustaches are yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian grows his whole beard out for his "winter" look. I love it! Perhaps I would feel different if it was just the moustache....

    Lows: there is so much dust and debris in BF we've decided not to keep our windows open anymore to protect the air quality inside our home...but dang it's nice outside!

    Highs: Fancy prebaby dinner with my hubby. Doc told us to expect baby a week early, so that's only one week away!! AND it is actually raining in BF!!! It NEVER rains.

    ReplyDelete