Friday, December 13, 2013

First Run Post Pregnancy

On Sunday, I decided to attempt running for the first time in 5 months. Because I have played soccer since I could toddle, I have never been classically ‘out-of-shape’. Endurance is a natural strength of mine which is part of why I enjoy running so much. It’s a way to exercise that never really required much effort or struggle. Weight training on the other hand is something I dreadfully loathe. 

So I guess I had unrealistic expectations when I strapped on my new Brooks trail-running shoes and headed to Hazlehead Park on Sunday. 
Running is hard when you’ve got no abdominal muscles to speak of. I’d be pumping my short little legs just as hard as I could and then be mortified when I checked my pace and saw that I was running 12 minute miles. 
On the other hand, I’ve gotten really good at power walking, because when I’d take a break from running and walk a stretch, I was averaging 15 minute miles. It’s a lot easier to walk when you aren’t pushing a ginormous stroller. Who knew having the BOB was gonna be such a good form of resistance training. 
So overall, I’m glad I took the plunge and got back out there. I clocked 3.2 miles in a time that is too embarrassing to reveal. Let's just say, it only took me 15 additional minutes to walk the same distance while 9 months pregnant. 
It was tiring and tough and my muscles haven’t been this sore in years, but it’s just the initial step back towards a healthy lifestyle. It’s gonna be a long road back to where I used to be, but I’ll get there eventually. Thank you so much to my hubby for baby-sitting Forest so that I could take Bailey-girl for a trail run. If nothing else, it was great to get some alone time in the fresh air! 
During the week, Forest and I are trying to stroll 3 miles a day when the weather is decent. 90% of the time, he really enjoys a long walk. The other 10% of the time, he doesn’t enjoy much of anything, so I might as well strap him in, put on my headphones and get out of the house. It keeps me sane. It really does. Thanks to my in-laws who gifted us our amazing stroller. 
It’s been great hitting the trails with my little man and introducing him to the many reasons I love this country! 

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I didn't get back to fitness as soon as I should have after my baby and you do need to be quite fit to be a Mom. It will be getting brighter soon as well in Aberdeen. The weather here is yucky at the moment. S